At Radipole Primary School, we aim to offer excellence and choice to all our children, whatever their ability or needs. We have high expectations of all our children and work towards ensuring that all pupils, regardless of their SEND needs make the best possible progress in school. We aim to achieve this through the removal of barriers to learning and participation. We want all our children to feel that they are a valued part of our school community. Through appropriate curricular provision, we respect the fact that children:
- have different educational and behavioural needs and aspirations;
- require different strategies for learning;
- acquire, assimilate and communicate information at different rates;
- need a range of different teaching approaches and experiences
Roles & Responsibilities of the Special Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO).
Our SENCO is Mrs Natalie Hilton. The SENCO’s role is primarily to:
- coordinate all the support for children with SEND and develop the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school
- liaise with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning
- update the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs
- provide support for teachers and support staff in the school, so that they can help children with SEND achieve the best progress possible
If you have any concerns regarding SEN matters do not hesitate to contact Mrs Hilton on 01305 783353.
The Local Offer
The Local Offer was first introduced in the Green Paper (March 2011) as a local offer of all services available to support disabled children and children with SEN and their families. This easy to understand information will set out what is normally available in schools to help children with lower-level SEN as well as the options available to support families who need additional help to care for their child.
What will it do?
It will provide parents/carers with information about how to access services in their area, and what they can expect from those services. With regard to Education, it will let parents/carers and young people know how schools will support them, and what they can expect across the local settings. Local Offers for individual schools are published on their school website, and collectively through Dorset County Council, allowing parents to make informed choices.
Please click the following link to see Radipole Primary School’s Local Offer: http://familyinformationdirectory.dorsetforyou.com/kb5/dorset/fsd/service.page?id=9nhuuXEU1hI
In our Special Needs Information Report you can read about our provision and how we support those children who have Special Educational Needs, and their families. Click here to read the Special Educational Needs Information Report